This site uses cookies. Some may have been set already. You can read our privacy policy here.
Please click the button to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway.
AFC Telford United Logo

Spennymoor Town 1 - 2 AFC Telford United

Match Date: 5/2/2019
Competition: FA Trophy
Kick Off: 19:45
Attendance: 571

Shane Sutton57
Andre Brown75
Opposition Own Goals: 0

Team Sheet
Andy Wycherley
Ross White
Stephan Morley
Ellis Deeney
Shane Sutton
Jonathan Royle
Henry Cowans
James McQuilkin
Amari Morgan-Smith
Andre Brown
Ryan Barnett

Zak Lilly
Sheridan Martinez
Darryl Knights ( Replaced Amari Morgan-Smith, 65 mins)
Brendon Daniels ( Replaced Henry Cowans, 78 mins)
Matthew Barnes-Homer ( Replaced Andre Brown, 85 mins)

James McQuilkinY
Jonathan RoyleY
Ryan BarnettY
Matthew Barnes-HomerY

Referee: Garreth Rhodes
Assistant 1: J.Bickerdike
Assistant 2: T.Fletcher

On a night that tested their character, Gavin Cowan’s Bucks showed they possess plenty of grit in progressing to the quarter-finals of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Goals from captain Shane Sutton and Andre Brown, allied to some late defensive heroics, earned the Bucks a shot at National League side Solihull Moors on 23rd February, as the Bucks maintained their hoodoo over Spennymoor, to whom Telford have never lost.

With the Brewery Field surface wet and heavy it cut up underfoot quickly, and neither side were able to assert any real authority in a first half that was a war of attrition.

Ryan Barnett sliced a shot wide of Matt Gould’s far post after the Bucks profited from a missed tackle by James Curtis, whilst National League North’s top scorer, Moors Glenn Taylor, headed wide at the far post under pressure.

Andre Brown couldn’t control a far-post header from a free-kick, and then shot into the side netting from the right of the penalty area when slipped in behind the home defence. The final chance of the half fell to Stephen Brogan; James McQuilkin fouled Rob Ramshaw as he headed for goal, and from 20 yards out Brogan hit a free-kick around the wall that Andy Wycherley got behind, moving to his left.

Any thoughts that the second half would be a similar affair were blown wide apart early on. On 50 minutes, Bucks keeper Andy Wycherley had to show lightning reactions to race from his goal and deny Adam Boyes, the substitute put through but unable to beat Wycherley's outstretched leg as he looked to place the ball to his left. Moments later, home keeper Matt Gould was similarly busy, saving from James McQuilkin at close range after a well-worked move from Henry Cowans and Ryan Barnett down the left unlocked the Moors defence.

Barnett was starting to find room against home right-back Williams, and from a corner earned by another probing Barnett run the Bucks took the lead, with Shane Sutton shaking off his marker to divert a close-range effort home past Matt Gould. The jubilation was short-lived as home marksman Glenn Taylor brought his side level within two minutes; from a ball played up to him, he showed the hallmarks of a man in form to place a beautifully weighted shot over a stranded Wycherley from 25 yards.

The game started to open up more, and from another corner won by Barnett, Sutton almost repeated his goal scoring feat, but sliced his effort over from 15 yards. However, the Bucks weren’t to be denied for long; on 75 minutes, Barnett found room on the edge of the box, fired in a shot that Gould got a hand to, but Andre Brown, given his chance, took his chance, and pounced to bury the loose ball from close range.

With 15 minutes left, the Moors didn’t respond immediately, but in the final five minutes they threw proverbial kitchen sink at the Bucks. Wycherley turned substitute Shaun Tuton's 20 yard effort over the bar for a corner, and then turned a low Andrew Johnson effort around his left post from similar range. Defender James Curtis flashed a header wide, Steph Morley then headed off his own line in another penalty-area scramble. Wycherley saved low at his near post from Tuton again before Taylor wasted the final chance; from a corner, and with Moors keeper Gould joining the attack, the Moors danger man fired over the bar from the edge of the box.

There was some late frustration, with Curtis and Matthew Barnes-Homer booked for an altercation, but Cowan’s troops held firm to move a step closer to Wembley.

Spennymoor Town: Gould, Williams, Brogan, Chandler, Thackray (Hibbs 87), Curtis (c), Hall (Tuton 72), Henry (Boyes 41), Taylor, Ramshaw, Johnson.

Unused Substitutes: Elliott, Anderson.

Scorers: Taylor (59).

Bookings: Curtis, Thackray.

AFC Telford United Ltd - Registered in England and Wales No. 05138735

New Bucks Head Stadium - Watling Street - Wellington - Telford - TF1 2TU

Tel: 01952 640064
Fax: 01952 640021


© Copyright AFC Telford United Limited

Disclaimer | Privacy Notice