This site uses cookies. Some may have been set already. You can read our privacy policy here.
Please click the button to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway.
AFC Telford United Logo

Chorley 1 - 1 AFC Telford United

Match Date: 6/4/2019
Competition: National League North
Kick Off: 15:00
Attendance: 1286

Brendon Daniels87
Opposition Own Goals: 0

Team Sheet
Josef Bursik
Ross White
Dominic Smith
Ellis Deeney
Shane Sutton
Theo Streete
James McQuilkin
Jonathan Royle
Brendon Daniels
Daniel Udoh
Darryl Knights

Stephan Morley

Ryan Barnett ( Replaced Dominic Smith, 67 mins)
Adam Dawson
Andre Brown ( Replaced Ross White, 77 mins)
Amari Morgan-Smith ( Replaced Jonathan Royle, 56 mins)

Theo StreeteY
Ellis DeeneyR

Referee: Barry Lamb
Assistant 1: Richard Woodward
Assistant 2: Stuart Morland
Official 4: n/a

A tenacious Bucks display was rewarded with a point, however the game centred around referee Barry Lamb, whose decisions throughout the game had Gavin Cowan and Chorley boss Jamie Vermiglio both fuming and scratching their heads.

The game couldn’t have started better for Vermiglio’s side. After just nine minutes they led, when Magpies crafted a chance for skipper and talisman Andy Teague to crash a 20-yard shot past Joe Bursik.

The Bucks responded. Matt Urwin, saved well at his near post when Daniel Udoh wriggled free to shoot, and then denied Shane Sutton, getting a touch on his effort from the resulting corner.

It had been nearly all Chorley, but on 26 minutes, Udoh latched onto a ball in the area and Urwin appeared to fell him as he reached for the ball. Referee Lamb gave no foul. Udoh, playing as a lone front runner and getting midfield support from Darryl Knights and James McQuilkin, went close again before the half ended.

HALF TIME: Chorley 1 AFC Telford United 0

Chorley began the second period looking for a goal to put the game beyond Telford. Bursik saved with an outstretched foot from Marcus Carver, then turned Teague’s low shot from the right of the box around a post. Urwin too was busy, and produced a terrific stop to turn a deflected Daniels free-kick wide when he appeared wrong-footed.

On 70 minutes the real drama began. After Theo Streete was booked for a foul on Carver, the referee seemed to respond to calls from an excitable home crowd and dismissed a bemused Ellis Deeney for an alleged stamp in the play that preceded the booking.

Substitute Ryan Barnett cleared off the line from Elliot Newby’s cross, before Darryl Knights responded, firing a crisp, first-time shot straight at Urwin.

With five minutes remaining, Daniels received the ball with his back to goal, on the edge of the box, and was barged over. Mr Lamb gave a free-kick, then changed his mind, to Chorley’s astonishment awarding a penalty. Daniels stepped up to lash home the kick, sending Urwin the wrong way.

There was still time for more. Bursik was penalised for timewasting with an indirect free-kick in the area, the Bucks deflecting Courtney Meppen-Walter’s effort wide. Teague had another low and hard cross hacked to safety, then substitute Shaun Tuton fired wide, home fans initially thinking the ball was in the net.

A breathless, baffling and bizarre last 25 minutes had ended with what, at one point, had looked to be an unlikely Bucks point in the bag.

Chorley: Urwin, Challoner (Jordan 40, Tuton 88), Blakeman, Teague (c), Leather, Meppen-Walter, Whitham, Cottrell, Carver, Wilson (Almond 80), E.Newby.

Unused Substitutes: McGurk, Hooper.

Scorers: Teague (9).

Cautions: Leather, Whitham.

AFC Telford United Ltd - Registered in England and Wales No. 05138735

New Bucks Head Stadium - Watling Street - Wellington - Telford - TF1 2TU

Tel: 01952 640064
Fax: 01952 640021


© Copyright AFC Telford United Limited

Disclaimer | Privacy Notice