This site uses cookies. Some may have been set already. You can read our privacy policy here.
Please click the button to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway.
AFC Telford United Logo

Chester 2 - 1 AFC Telford United

Match Date: 22/12/2018
Competition: National League North
Kick Off: 15:00
Attendance: 2079

Amari Morgan-Smith19
Opposition Own Goals: 0

Team Sheet
Andy Wycherley
Ross White
Stephan Morley
Ellis Deeney
Shane Sutton
Theo Streete
Henry Cowans
James McQuilkin
Amari Morgan-Smith
Daniel Udoh
Brendon Daniels

Jonathan Royle
Darryl Knights ( Replaced Amari Morgan-Smith, 76 mins)
Yusifu Ceesay
Ryan Barnett ( Replaced Henry Cowans, 62 mins)
Andre Brown ( Replaced James McQuilkin, 89 mins)

Shane SuttonR

Referee: Samuel Barrott
Assistant 1: Gareth Myers
Assistant 2: Lewis Dawson
Official 4: n/a

The Bucks went down to a third consecutive league defeat in December, losing out to the odd goal in three in a pulsating encounter at the Swansway Stadium. Despite taking the lead through Amari Morgan-Smith, they were unable to see off high-flying Chester, their task made harder when captain Shane Sutton was dismissed with 20 minutes left to play.

Bucks manager Gavin Cowan had hinted at changes in the build-up to the game, keen to utilise his whole squad for an intense period of 5 games in 15 days. Shifting to a 4-3-3 formation, Cowan gave loan signing Brendon Daniels a first start in a Bucks shirt, playing him in a front three with the returning Amari Morgan-Smith and top scorer Daniel Udoh. Henry Cowans moved forward into a more orthodox midfield role from his recent berth at right wing-back.

The hosts, featuring ex-Buck Adam Dawson, looked to set a high early tempo, and it was one the Bucks had trouble matching. Alan Mahon put the game’s first goal-bound effort wide from 20 yards, skewing his shot, before Bucks skipper Shane Sutton met a Steph Morley contact with power, but not enough direction to trouble Grant Shenton in the Seals’ goal. On 10 minutes, Chester had the ball in the Bucks net, as Akwasi Asante, full of bustle and intent, directed a header from a Dawson free-kick past Andy Wycherley’s left hand, the keeper stretching but unable to keep the ball out. Fortune smiled on the Bucks, however, as an offside flag denied the in-form striker.

The Bucks looked to respond, and Udoh fizzed an effort on the run from Daniels’ pass over Shenton’s cross bar from the left side of the box. It was an effort against the general flow of the game, and on 15 minutes Wycherley resumed his personal battle with Asante; a Chester free-kick was nodded back from the far post and with Asante looking certain to score, he must have been as astonished as everyone else to see Wycherley thrust out his right foot to divert the striker’s shot away from goal. Wycherley then held another Dawson free-kick, plucking it from the air, as the home side’s onslaught intensified.

A goal seemed on the cards, and indeed it arrived, on 19 minutes; however, to the surprise of many, including Bucks boss Cowan, it came for the visitors. Udoh was fouled with his back to goal by Moran, 40 yards out, and from Morley’s free-kick teasing delivery, Morgan-Smith beat his marker and the Chester back line to head the ball across and past Shenton’s left hand from 10 yards out.

The lead wasn’t to last long. Within minutes, Wycherley got into a tangle with the ball at his feet outside his area, and Theo Streete had to cover Asante’s efforts to reach the loose ball with the net empty. Asante wasn’t done, though, and on 24 minutes he latched onto a ball to race away from the Bucks defence and beat Wycherley low down as the keeper narrowed the angle. Streete almost caught Asante, who may have had a slight head start but saw no offside flag raised.

The home crowd had been engaged in the game from the word ‘go’, taking Seals manager Anthony Johnson’s plea for their sustained backing to heart. Most decisions made the Bucks’ way by referee Samuel Barrott were met with howls of derision, even the most blatant of bookings for Adam Dawson, who took Henry Cowans’ legs from under him as the midfielder looked set to spring forward from the centre-circle.

The pace of the game showed little sign of abating. James McQuilkin volleyed a half-cleared free-kick narrowly wide of Shenton’s goal, whilst Cain Noble, who was a late replacement for an ill Gary Roberts, flashed his own shot from 25 yards over Wycherley’s crossbar. The chances that arose in the last 15 minutes of the half fell to the hosts; on 39 minutes Asante, a constant threat for the Seals, wriggled free of the attentions of the Bucks defence to shoot into the side netting and then, with only a minute remaining, Mahon shot wide after Henry Cowans’ under-hit back-pass gifted him possession.

HALF TIME: Chester FC 1 AFC Telford United 1

Gavin Cowan was likely relieved that his team remained on level terms at the break, given that Chester had made more of the scoring opportunities. If he harboured hopes that the Bucks could turn the tide, it took only six minutes into the second half for that to change. A ball played along the edge of the area to Anthony Dudley saw the forward create room for a right-foot shot that the Bucks defence blocked; however, the ball fell kindly back into Dudley’s path and he struck a clinical low shot with his left foot past Wycherley’s left hand, the ball nestling in the corner of the net.

The Bucks were going to have to come from behind if they wanted any reward, and although not immediate they started to rally. Their cause was helped when an injury to Asante saw him substituted just before the hour, replaced by Dan Mooney. Shane Sutton brought a save from Shenton, directing a header from a corner more or less at the Chester keeper, but that was just a precursor to the game’s major talking point. On the hour, Brendon Daniels drew a foul from Gary Stopforth; the resulting free-kick wasn’t effectively dealt with by Chester, and the Bucks returned the ball to the far post, where Streete headed the ball back into the six-yard box. Shenton fumbled his catch, possibly impeded by Udoh, and Morgan-Smith lashed home the loose ball, only to hear the referee’s whistle rule out the ‘goal’ for the foul on Shenton.

Cowan rung the changes, introducing Ryan Barnett for Cowans and, playing wide on the right, Barnett started to get involved. At the opposite end, Mahon set up Mooney to rifle a shot narrowly over Wycherley’s bar from the left edge of the box, however another turning point was soon to arrive. On 70 minutes, Dudley got in front of Shane Sutton to win a header and looked to have a yard on the Bucks skipper; Dudley still had work to do, not running directly at goal, however Sutton made sure, grabbing the forward’s shoulders and hauling him down. Referee Barrott brandished a red card immediately, to the delight of the home crowd and the Bucks’ dismay.

To their credit, the Bucks continued to search for a route back. Streete headed a far-post corner wide of Shenton’s goal, then repeated the feat when Udoh’s turn and shot was deflected for a corner. More pressure brought more corners, including one which Daniels struck goalwards, only to see the ball cleared away from inside the six-yard box, possibly hitting his own player, Udoh.

Alas the spirited showing of the Bucks once down to ten men was to yield no reward, and the hosts saw out five minutes of injury time to seal their victory.

Chester FC: Shenton, Moran, Thomson, Noble, Grand, Howson, Dawson (Jackson 72), Stopforth, Asante (Mooney 57), Dudley, Mahon (Smalley 90+3).

Unused Substitutes: Green, Marsh-Evans.

Scorers: Asante (24), Dudley (51).

Bookings: Dawson, Moran.

AFC Telford United Ltd - Registered in England and Wales No. 05138735

New Bucks Head Stadium - Watling Street - Wellington - Telford - TF1 2TU

Tel: 01952 640064
Fax: 01952 640021


© Copyright AFC Telford United Limited

Disclaimer | Privacy Notice